Thursday, October 2, 2008

#5. the Mayo Clinic - THE DIAGNOSIS

This is the one we've all been waiting for.  This isn't the first time Jamie has gotten a so-called 'diagnosis', but it IS the first time we believe it.  It will probably be better from her own words, so the following is Jamie's email about her diagnosis. . .


   Hello from Minnesota!
After three very long years, the Mayo Clinic has found my problem, or should I say problems.  I have been diagnosed with a couple different things that can somewhat be related to each other as well.  Some good news and some bad.  I have what they call "Fibromyalgia"  At this time there isn't one sure-fire reason what causes Fibromyalgia, therefore, there is no known cure either.
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that causes the nerves in your body to be overly sensitive.  Nerves are sending signals to the brain that tell you things that shouldn't be painful are painful.  A simple touch or hug can cause my body to feel severe pain when its really not.  Anything that will heighten my senses such as bright lights, loud noises, strong smells, touch, stress, caffeine, will cause my nerves to send an overload to the brain.  This is what causes my constant pain all over, extreme fatigue and tingling in parts of my body.
I also have Basilar Migraines.  It's a very rare form of migraine that causes temporary memory loss, temporary blindness, and visual changes. . . all of which I have been experiencing.  These Migraines can be more severe due to the Fibromyalgia sending the wrong signals.  They are going to be putting me on an anti-seizure medication that will somewhat calm my nerves down, and help with the migraines as well.
They are calling my "droopy left eye", 7th peripheral nerve palsy.  At this time it's believed Basilar Migraines can sometimes cause permanent damage (although very rare).  Our hope is that the medication I go on will calm that nerve down as well, and it will start to work properly again.
It is so nice to finally have an answer and be able to deal and cope with life ahead.  This medication is not going to fix my problems, but it will keep them under control.
I started a class today to learn how to live with this and not let it take over my life.  Of course the strategies were 'humming' and 'relaxing' to control your pain, but I think we all know the ONLY thing that is sure to work and heal is Christ Himself.  God truly is in control!  Tomorrow we will meet with the doctor for (hopefully) the last time.  He will go over all these things again to make sure there is nothing else they overlooked, or anything else they would like to do.
I could never repay any of you or thank you enough for all your prayers.  I hope to see you all soon.

~Jamie


I would also like to add that Jamie's 'seizure' type 'episodes' seem to have been a mixed reaction to the Fibromyalgia and Basilar Migraines.  I'm gonna call it an 'extra bonus' of this combination.

Hopefully the next update will say that Jamie is on her way home, but we'll see what the next day(s) will bring.

No comments: